What is this workshop about?
This workshop introduces to the process of extracting value from data - where and how to get it, how to analyze it and how to visualize it - based on a set of tools available for non-developers.
Why is this course relevant nowadays?
Because data analysis and visualization is all over the place, and this discipline should not be restricted to software developers. There are lots of tools that can be used to gather, analyze and visualize data without writing a single line of code.
What will I learn in this workshop?
You will learn:
- Where to get Data: Get Data from Open Data sources and some known API's
- Scrape data from the web with Open Refine
- Analyze Data: Master Excel basics for operating with Data
- Analyze and Visualize Social Networks with the open source tool Gephi
- Visualize Geospatial data with CartoDB
- Plot common charts like bar charts, bubble charts, motion charts, word clouds... with software such as Google Fusion Tables
What practical skills can I expect upon completion of this workshop?
Enough knowledge to gather and clean data with Open Refine, analyze Data with Excel, dive into network analysis with Gephi, draw interactive maps with CartoDB and plot common charts with just some mouse clicks with Google Fusion Tables.
Who will I be sitting next to in this workshop?
Journalists, Marketing, Social Science People and anyone interested in tinkering with Data.
Takeaways of this workshop:
- Discover the power of Data Analysis and Visualization
- Practical Data Journalism
- Become familiar with Excel
- Become familiar with Gephi
- Become familiar with CartoDB
- Become familiar with Open Refine
This is a 3 Saturdays’ Workshop, each day from 10am to 2pm:
- November, 30th
- December, 14th
- December, 21th
Just bring your laptop. No operating system restrictions. Specific software installation will be covered in the workshop. No experience with data or programming required.
PS: The first 10 attendants will have a T-SHIRT for free!