At Itnig, we know it’s hard to keep up with all the news and updates flying around. What’s new at Itnig? We organise a new recurrent event in January 2020 named Pitch to Investors. Entrepreneurs have the opportunity to pitch in front of investors. For example, investors can be from our team like Bernat Farrero or also external guest funds. Speakers get instant feedback from them.
So, if you have a project in mind and you are looking for funding, come and pitch at Itnig! After the event, you also have the opportunity to network around a beer. Nothing should hold you back anymore!
Startup Inside Stories Podcast
This month, we had very interesting guests and topics on Itnig’s weekly podcast.
#117: Alberto Espinós, from Tropicfeel
In this week’s podcast, we discuss crowdfunding and more concretely, reward-based crowdfunding. Alberto Espinós is the founder and CEO of Tropicfeel, a company that aims at becoming “the Patagonia of travellers”.
Alberto started using Kickstarted as his main sales platform which allowed him to produce his first shoes at very low risk. We discuss how crowdfunding can be a great way to sell a product in B2C markets.
#118 : Rafa Blanc, from Vasquiat
In this week’s podcast, Rafa Blanc, CEO at Vasquiat explains to us how luxury fashion works and how he plans to change the sales season. The platform value proposition lies in offering discount for pre-season items instead of incentivising late consumers.
He has partnered up with Blanca Miró, fashion influencer and co-founder of the startup to bring in the unique value of product selection. Listen the full story here!
#119 : David Riudor, from Goin
In this week’s podcast, we are taking a look at Goin, an increasingly popular fintech that allows you to save and invest money. David Riudor’s objective is to make it easier for people to achieve their goals and he says they have the potential to be way more profitable than banks, so we are digging up why.
In spite of being super young, David has a very interesting business life that started with magic, leading him to meet David Copperfield and sell a company to Magia Borras. Triggered?
#120: Vincent Rosso, former GM Spain at Blablacar
In this week’s podcast, we talk to Vicent Rosso, former GM Spain at Blablacar. He tells us how he started working in the comfort of big corporations but soon jumped to the startup world by creating his own business in Spain during the crisis.
Vincent explains how he started his entrepreneurship journey and ended up managing one of the fastest-growing startups in Europe!
December Startup News & Updates
Now, here are the December startup news:
Holaluz going public seems to be doing great but what’s the difference between IPOs and Direct Listing? The NYSE wants to let companies raise capital through direct listings and that might be an option for some companies.
With the underperformance of IPOs like Uber and Lyft as well as the epic implosion of WeWork, the venture capital market has shaken quite a bit. But this week stories keep piling up as we got to know that Larry Page and Sergey Brin, founders of Google, have stepped down from Alphabet. Same happened with Xiaomi co-founder Lei Jun who has stepped down as China president in a leadership reshuffle.
On the other side of the spectrum, Glovo is about to land €200M and become the second Spanish unicorn. We also got to know that football giants Atlético de Madrid, Valencia CF and Schalke 04 signed an agreement with Sorare to join blockchain game.
Delivery Hero is betting strongly on Asia as we got to know that they bought South Korean startup Woowa for the wowing amount of $4B! That’s an energetic beginning of the week!
You might also be struggling to reach out to clients or investors so this is how to send reply worthy cold messages! And to help you even more, let me suggest 5 viral content ideas that work even in a boring niche!
In the meantime, Glovo has been raising big money after it was announced a €150M round at a monster valuation (€1B+). That makes the Barcelona-based startup the second Spanish unicorn.
This week we are also taking a look at a giant startup. Blablacar is one of those businesses that made its own market and killed it with its superb acquisition strategy. Former GM Spain Vincent Rosso tells the origins of Blablacar!
New Funding for Startups
- The Netherlands – Supermarket Picnic raises €250M for automated distribution centre
- Madrid – Cybersecurity startup Buguroo raises $11M
- Madrid – StudentFinance.com raises €1.15M
- Madrid – Mortgage startup Helloteca raises €720K
- San Sebastian – Autonomous drone startup Alerion raises €1.2M
- Sweden – Cybersecurity company Detectify secures €21.5M
- Germany -Native cloud pricing software Pricefx closes Series B at €48M
- France – Airbnb competitor Leavy.co raises $14M
- France – Data storytelling startup Toucan Toco raises €12M
- UK – Employee benefit startup Hastee raises more than €243M
- UK – User-consent marketing engine Ogury raises €50M
- Barcelona – Parlem Telecom raises €2M
- Barcelona – TAPP water raises €1.8M for its water filtering solution
- Barcelona – Automatic pillbox startup Berdac raises a €345K round
- France – Cybersecurity platform GitGardian raises €10.8M
- Italy – Farm digitalisation startup xFarm raises €3M
- Germany – Delivery Hero buys Korean startup Woowa for $4B
- Germany – Martin Varsavsky’s driverless transport startup Goggo Network raises €44M
- Barcelona – Betting recommendation startup TipsterChat raises €1M
- Barcelona – Fintech BCN10 raises €10M
- Madrid – Orbital Ads receives €3M from the European Commission
- Madrid – Ticketing site Hellotickets raises €2M
- Madrid – Social media AdTech adtuo raises €250K
- Valencia – Walking tour marketplace GuruWalk raises €1M and we interviewed them
- Vigo – Nanosatellite startup Alén Space raises €1M
- Spain – ENISA has invested over €1B
- Barcelona- Glovo grabs €150M series E and becomes a unicorn.
- Madrid – Arbor fintech raises €3M
- Seville – Last mile delivery startup MOX raises €3M
- UK – The Hut Group primed for growth after £1B funding round.
- Belgium – Odoo grabs $90M to sell more SMEs on its business app suite
- Germany – European Investment Bank provides funding of €50M to BioNTech
Random Tech News
- Google fires 4 workers active in labor organizing.
- Virtual reality used to relax cows into producing more milk.
- Uber loses London licence after TfL finds drivers faked identity.
- Black Friday sees record $7.4B in online sales, $2.9B spent using smartphones.
- A live look at Cyber Monday sales on Shopify.
- Twitter tests new conversation features from twttr prototype.
- How Instagram’s Explore recommender system works.
- Anti-bot startup Kasada raises $7M in Series A from CIA’s venture fund In-Q-Tel
- PlayStation awarded Guinness record for consoles sales on its 25th birthday.
- Larry Page steps down; Sundar Pichai to lead both Alphabet, Google as CEO.
- Xiaomi co-founder Lei Jun steps down as China president in a leadership reshuffle.
- Facebook thinks hiding Instagram likes will make your fragile ass post more.
- Uber reveals thousands of sexual assault reports last year.
- iPhone 11 Pro collects location data even when told not to
- Apple’s first completely wireless iPhone without a charging port may be less than 2 years away.
- There’s a new streaming competitor on the block: The Pirate Bay.
- Disney becomes the first studio to earn $10B in a single year.
- What happens after prisoners learn to code?
- Netflix sends journalists on pricey trips, raising questions.
- Interpreter, Google’s real-time translator, comes to mobile.
- Spotify’s founding story is going to be a Netflix series.
- Jack Dorsey wants to decentralize Twitter.
- Humans best AI in first-ever Drone Racing League showdown
- FBI breaks up 2 illegal streaming sites.
- W3C brings a new language to the Web.
- Fiat Chrysler and Peugeot agree $50bn merger deal.
- Amazon, Apple, Google and Zigbee Alliance to develop open standardfor smart home devices.
- Indian government orders mobile internet to be suspended in the capital.
- Apple has secret team working on satellites to beam data to devices.
- Facebook is reportedly working on its own OS now.
- Hedge funds hacked into Bank of England briefings to gain financial advantage.
Those are December 2019 startup news!
At Itnig, we write a weekly newsletter where we keep our community updated on everything related to startups, tech news, fundings, and we share our weekly podcast!
Subscribe and keep up with the startup universe, or feel free to come back for more startup news of the month here!